• We will be using the Advantage system from The Black Company rules. This includes the modification to Conditions (their effect on Initiative), but does not include the Battlefield Events subset of rules (so nothing special happens when you roll a natural 1 on initiative). Instead on Profession(soldier) or Wisdom, you will be using your Guild rank to determine the advantage, or your Charisma modifier, whichever is higher.
• Action points – at first level every character gains 2 action points. Every level after the first you gain half your character level rounded down of additional action points beyond the original two that you gained. So a 5th level character has 4 action points to spend. Action points are regained when you level up. Fighters gain 1 extra action point every level from 2nd level onwards, cumulative with the regular amount of action points that a character gains. So a 5th level fighter will have 6 action points to spend. Action Points can be used for any of the following:
⁃ Adding to any d20 roll – you can add 1d6 to any d20 roll by spending 1 action point provided that you announce your intent to use the action point before you see the result of the roll. At level 8 you may add 2d6 to a roll.
⁃ Activate Class Ability – use a class ability that has a limited number of uses a day one extra time a day by spending 1 action point.
⁃ Act Out of Turn – as a free action you can spend 1 action point to act out of your initiative turn. Once your turn is over you are flat-footed until your next turn. This option cannot be activated in a surprise round.
⁃ Stabilize Yourself – spend 1 action point to stabilize yourself when dying.
⁃ Boost Defense – as a free action you can spend 1 action point when fighting defensively to gain double the normal benefits for fighting defensively for an entire round.
⁃ Emulate Feat – at the beginning of your turn and as a free action you can spend 1 action point to gain the benefits of a feat that you do not have for an entire round. You still need to meet the prerequisites of that feat.
⁃ Extra Attack – when making a full round attack you can spend 1 action point to gain an extra attack at your highest BAB.
⁃ Surge – you can spend an action point to gain one extra move action.
• Characters that have yet to act in the combat may not take any free action – which includes talking. Once they have acted they are free to talk out of initiative order, but only short bursts of speech will be allowed.
The following Trait has changed:
• Rich Parents – add 100sp to your starting wealth.
The following Feats have been added:
• Extra Action Points – (no preq.) every time that you gain action points you gain an additional 4 action points
• Improved Advantage – (no preq.) you add +4 to your advantage rolls. This feat can be taken multiple times – its effects stack.
• Savant Healer – (Preq: Heal 3 ranks) – You add two dice and double your wisdom or charisma modifier when you convert lethal damage to non-lethal damage. Furthermore, when providing long-term care your patients gain 6 times their character level in hit points after 8 hours of rest, or 10 times for a full day’s rest. It takes you only 1 minute to convert lethal damage to non-lethal damage.
• Improved Savant Healer – (Preq. Heal 5 ranks, Savant Healer) – Add another dice when converting lethal damage to non-lethal damage (stacks with Savant Healer). In addition, half the damage you convert (rounded down) is completely healed. Providing long term care now only takes you an hour of light work and it takes you a full round action to convert lethal damage to non-lethal damage (provokes attack of opportunity).
• Healing Specialist – (Preq. Heal 9 ranks, Improved Savant Healer, Savant Healer) – Add two more healing dice (stacks with Imp. Savant Healer and Savant Healer)and three times your wisdom or charisma modifier when you convert lethal damage to non-lethal damage. All the damage you convert is completely healed. It takes you an action (provokes attack of opportunity) to Heal.
• Heal – [in addition to the normal uses of this skill] – by spending 5 minutes and expending one use of a Healer’s Kit you may convert lethal damage to non-lethal damage. To determine how much lethal damage you have converted roll a Heal check and check the following table:
⁃ DC 15 – 1d8 + Wisdom or Charisma Modifier(if positive) damage
⁃ DC 20 – 2d8 + Wisdom Modifier (if positive) damage
⁃ DC 25 – 6d8 + Wisdom Modifier (if positive) damage
⁃ DC 30 – 8d10 + Wisdom Modifier (if positive) damage
⁃ DC 35 – 10d10 + Wisdom Modifier (if positive) damage
Back to Desert Heat Main Page