The Drug and Slave Trade
Slavery is illegal throughout most of Northern Alanasia, with the exception of Blackdeath, Fang, Risk and Yellowmine.It is legal and widespread in Southern Alanasia, where slaves are not only used for almost all of the mining, tanning, building and fieldwork, but also as a commodity. Sandstorm in particular trades hundreds, and even thousands, of slaves per season with Blackdeath in exchange for ore, ships, alcohol and other commodities.
In Northern Alanasia Blackdeath uses the most slaves (even though officially slavery is illegal within the city walls), with the majority of slave-work used in the mines north of the city proper.
Some of the slaves are traded with Fang (which also officially emancipated all slaves) for use in the maintenance of the city’s dams, buildings and maze.
Yellowmine is the only northern settlement to officially and legally use slaves, although for a mining based city they use relatively few slaves. Slaves are sent to open new mining tunnels and to other risky work in the city’s mines.
Risk accepts a small amount of slaves as payment, and uses them for housework and as status symbols mostly.
Drugs (the list is not comprehensive or final)
– Mossgrow – a very mild hallucinatory drug that looks like greenish brown sprigs of moss, and is made out of the Mossgrow plant. It is not very addictive. Mossgrow is normally smoked using a pipe, although it may also be chewed (to a lesser effect). While officially illegal in Blackdeath, this is very common, very popular drug, and the guards rarely enforce the law regarding to its use.
- Lush – a highly addictive drug that looks like brown powder and is made out of a combination of ground “Brown Ore” from Sandstorm, Darkwood syrup, and oil of Lush fish. The powder is made into a tea, smoked, chewed or sniffed.
- Rakana – a leaf that is smoked or chewed, and grows in the woods north of Blackdeath. It takes 9 months to process the leaves. The drug is highly addictive, and is very popular with magic users, as when used correctly it grants insights into the future, and a better success at spell casting.
- Oogali – grown from the small button black mushrooms that grow in Blackdeath’s heavily magical sewers, Oogali renders one immune to magical affects for an hour, but is poisonous when taken regularly, and renders one violently ill after taking it. Salmonelis is practically the only market for this unusual drug.
- Bantam – a very popular drug in Fang, it is hardly in use in Blackdeath. This drug is made from greenish-blue crystals found underwater near Blackdeath’s docks. The crystals are dissolved in alcohol when used, and grant the user several hours of above average strength and stamina. Magically imbued, they are ineffectual in Blackdeath’s environs, but have become extremely popular in Fang, especially in recent years, with the boom of building in the Eastern city. Bantam is not addictive, but does ruin the user’s liver and kidneys over time. Regular use is extremely hazardous to one’s health.
-Sinter – this drug is synthesized entirely for sale in Sandstorm. The Guild and House Cashell are extremely secretive about its properties, origins, or use, and many people have lost their lives trying to find out more about it.
- Naxrastax – a black power which burns red and is inhaled. It causes users to believe that they have various “super-powers”. Very expensive and extremely addictive, this drug is very illegal to both sell and use. The drug is made of a fiery red and black poisonous caterpillar that is found only in certain areas in the Loop, and the Temple of Tiamat in the Loop are its only suppliers (they are allowed to use it, as part of their “religious rituals”. It is a well-known fact in the Guild that for the right sum of money, they are willing to sell it, too).
Back to Desert Heat Main Page